Information Collection and Use
Our primary goals in collecting information are to provide and improve our Site and Browser Extension, services, features, and content (together, the “Service”) and to enable users to enjoy and easily navigate the Site and Browser Extension.
Children’s Personal Information
If you are a minor under the age of 13 (“Student”), you may only use this Service and disclose personally identifiable information with your parent or guardian’s express consent and as instructed to do so by your school educator or test preparation and/or tutoring instructor. We knowingly collect only limited personally identifiable information from such Students, including name and email address (“Children’s Personal Information”). We require schools, school districts, test preparation and/or tutoring companies, and/or educators to obtain parental consent from their Students’ parents before collecting any such Children’s Personal Information in order to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Act. If you are under the age of 13, please do not send any Children’s Personal Information about yourself to us unless you are using the Service as instructed to do so by your school teacher or test preparation or tutoring instructor, and other than what we request from you when you sign up for the Service. In the event that we learn that we have collected Children’s Personal Information from a Student without parental consent being obtained by his or her school, school district, test preparation and/or tutoring company, and/or educator, or if we learn that a Student has provided us Children’s Personal Information beyond what we request when he or she signs up for the Service, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that a Student may have provided us Children’s Personal Information beyond what is requested when signing up for the Service, or that a student’s school, school district, test preparation and/or tutoring company, or educator has not obtained parental consent, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hereinafter, references to “Personal Information” shall apply to personal information of individual Service users who are not student registrants. References to “Children’s Personal Information” shall only apply to personal information of users of the Service under the age of 13. General references to “information” shall apply to all users.
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, if you are a Student registrant and your parent has signed up for the Service, you understand that your parents and educators and/or instructors may be able view all information within or associated with your Service account.
Personally Identifiable Information
- When you register with us through the Site or Browser Extension, as a Propagate Subscriber we will ask you for personally identifiable information. This refers to information about you that can be used to contact or identify you (“Personal Information”). Personal Information includes, but is not limited to, your name and email address. We use your Personal Information mainly to provide the Service in the Browser Extension and administer your inquiries.
- We collect Personal Information and Children’s Personal Information in connection with your registration to join our Service. You can register to join via the Site or Browser Extension by logging into your online account with certain third party service providers (each such account, a “Third Party Account”) via our Site or Browser Extension. Such third party service providers may include but are not limited to Facebook and Google. When you register by logging into a Third Party Account via our Site or Browser Application, we may obtain the Personal Information and Children’s Personal Information you have provided to the Third Party Account (such as your “real” name, profile picture, email address and other information you make publicly available via the applicable Third Party Account) and use that information to create your Propagate account (“Account”) and you will become a Member; the information we obtain may depend on the privacy settings you have with the Third Party Account.
- We also collect the other information that you provide as part of registration and your use of the Service (e.g., without limitation, words added via the Service, words deleted via the Service, and content from web pages loaded) (“Non-Identifying Information”).
- We use your Personal Information and Children’s Personal Information (in some cases, in conjunction with your Non-Identifying Information) mainly to provide the Service, complete your transactions, if any, and administer your inquiries.
- Certain Non-Identifying Information would be considered a part of your Personal Information and Children’s Personal Information if it were combined with other identifiers (for example, combining your zip code with your street address) in a way that enables you to be identified. But the same pieces of information are considered Non-Identifying Information when they are taken alone or combined only with other non-identifying information (for example, your viewing preferences). We may combine your Personal Information with Non-Identifying Information and aggregate it with information collected from other Propagate Users (defined below) to attempt to provide you with a better experience, to improve the quality and value of the Service and to analyze and understand how our Site, Browser Extension and Service are used. We may also use the combined information without aggregating it to serve you specifically, for instance to deliver a product to you according to your preferences or restrictions.
- We also use your Personal Information to contact you with Propagate newsletters, marketing or promotional materials and other information that may be of interest to you. If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive such communications from us, please follow the unsubscribe instructions provided in any of the communications. (See “Changing or Deleting Information” below.)
- Log Data. When you visit the Site and Browser Extension, whether as a Propagate Subscriber or a non-registered user just browsing (any of these, a “Propagate User”), our servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website (“Log Data”). This Log Data may include information such as your computer’s Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type or the webpage you were visiting before you came to our Site and Browser Extension, pages of our Site and Browser Extension that you visit, the time spent on those pages, information you search for on our Site and Browser Extension, access times and dates, word frequencies and identities and other statistics. We use this information to monitor and analyze use of the Site and Browser Extension and the Service and for the Site and Browser Extension’s technical administration, to increase our Site and Browser Extension’s functionality and user-friendliness, and to better tailor the Site and Browser Extension to our visitors’ needs. For example, some of this information is collected so that when you visit the Site and Browser Extension again, it will recognize you and suggest content that is personally adapted to your reading behavior, language level and vocabulary. We also use this information to verify that visitors to the Site and Browser Extension meet the criteria required to process their requests. We do not treat Log Data as Personal Information or Children’s Personal Information or use it in association with other Personal Information or Children’s Personal Information, though we may aggregate, analyze and evaluate such information for the same purposes as stated above regarding other Non-Identifying Information.
- Passive Collection of Information. In addition to the information that you provide to us when you register for a user account, we collect information about the URLs, titles and content of the web pages and other information you save to the Propagate Service. The types of passive information we collect includes your Internet Service Provider, IP address, browser type, device type, settings, time zone, language, and other information related to the manner in which you access the Propagate Service. We also collect information about your use of the Propagate Service, such as what you have read or viewed, which device you used to have accessed such content, and which words you choose to save to Propagate. We compile aggregated data by combining information from many users, without including any information that could be used to identify you or anyone else by name.
Identity theft and the practice currently known as “phishing” are of great concern to Propagate. Safeguarding information to help protect you from identity theft is a top priority. We do not and will not, at any time, request your credit card information, login information, or national identification numbers in a non-secure or unsolicited e-mail or telephone communication. For more information about phishing, visit the Federal Trade Commission’s website.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
We neither rent nor sell your Personal Information or Children’s Personal Information to anyone. However, we share your Personal Information and Children’s Personal Information in personally identifiable form as described below.
Aggregate Information and Non-Identifying Information. We may share and otherwise disclose aggregated information that does not include Personal Information and Children’s Personal Information and Non-Identifying Information and Log Data with third parties for industry analysis, demographic profiling, certain related retail services. Any aggregated information shared in these contexts will not contain your Personal Information.
Third Party Online Services. As a Subscriber, you may link your Account with certain Third Party Accounts. In these instances, with your permission and on your behalf, we will share your Account information with the applicable online service for the Third Party Account. Other than what we may share with the applicable third party online service in connection with your linking of accounts, the Personal Information and Children’s Personal Information the applicable third party online service has about you is obtained by the third party online service independent of our Service. Such online service providers follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the Personal Information and Children’s Personal Information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other services you use before you provide personal information to such third parties. Additionally, the Site and Browser Extension may access (i) your e-mail address book associated with a Third Party Account (e.g., your Gmail account) and (ii) your contacts list stored on your mobile device or tablet computer solely for purposes of identifying and informing you of those contacts who have also registered to use the Propagate Service. You will have the option to deactivate your connection to Third Party Accounts via the “Account Settings” section of the Site and Browser Extension. If you deactivate the connection to a Third Party Account, Propagate will delete all information received from such Third Party Account except that your username and profile picture will remain on your Propagate profile.
Service Providers. We may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate our Service, to provide the Service on our behalf, to perform Site and Browser Extension-related services (e.g., without limitation, maintenance services, database management, web analytics, and improvement of the Site and Browser Extension’s features) or to assist us in analyzing how our Site, Browser Extension and Service are used. These third parties have access to your Personal Information or Children’s Personal Information only to perform these tasks on our behalf and are obligated not to disclose or use it for any other purpose.
Compliance with Laws and Law Enforcement. Propagate cooperates with government and law enforcement officials and private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We will disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate to respond to claims and legal process (including but not limited to subpoenas), to protect the property and rights of Propagate or a third party, to protect the safety of the public or any person, or to prevent or stop activity we may consider to be, or to pose a risk of being, illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
Changing or Deleting Your Information
All Subscribers may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information or Children’s Personal Information in their registration profile by contacting us. If you completely delete all such information, then your account may become deactivated. If you would like us to delete your record in our system, please contact us at email@example.com with a request that we delete your Personal Information or Children’s Personal Information from our database. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to honor your request. Additionally, we may retain an archived copy of records we have about you as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
No data transmissions over the internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Consequently, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us and you do so at your own risk. Propagate is very concerned with safeguarding your information, and has multiple security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse or alteration of information under our control.
We will make any legally required disclosures of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your unencrypted electronically stored “personal data” (as defined in applicable state statutes on security breach notification) to you via email or conspicuous posting on this Site and Browser Extension in the most expedient time possible and without unreasonable delay, insofar as consistent with (i) the legitimate needs of law enforcement or (ii) any measures necessary to determine the scope of the breach and restore the reasonable integrity of the data system.
Links to Other Websites and Services
Our Site and Browser Extension contain links to other websites, online services or applications (collectively, “Third Party Services”). If you click on a link to a Third Party Service, you will be directed to that third party’s website, online service or application. The fact that we link to a Third Party Service is not an endorsement, authorization or representation of our affiliation with that third party, nor is it an endorsement of their privacy or information security policies or practices. We do not exercise control over Third Party Services. Such Third Party Services may place their own cookies or other files on your computer, collect data or solicit personal information from you. Other websites, online services and applications follow different rules regarding the use or disclosure of the personal information you submit to them. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other Third Party Services you visit.